"When it all comes down, you know it all comes down to doin' the walk." Steven Curtis Chapman

Saturday, October 27, 2012

The Psychology of Salvation, Part 6: The Slightest Impulse

Found at: http://www.mykindastyle.com/blog/?p=145 
“To act on the slightest impulse to do good;” that was a promise I made… wait! I’m not so good at keeping promises. Let’s try this: “That was an intention that came into my heart as I considered the work of the Spirit in my life some months ago.” If we are to “keep in step with the Spirit” (Galatians 5:23), then our walk has to include hurrying up when He does, stopping when He does, turning when He does, and taking whatever fancy steps He seems to want.

No, I don’t think the Holy Spirit is all fickle and fluttery like a moth near a streetlight. I believe He is purposeful and powerful and direct. Yet, I once saw a huge-pawed puppy going through all kinds of gyrations as she tried to stay close to her master. The owner was trying to make his way back to his truck and the pup, unaware of the objective, kept assuming the wrong next move. It was all the master could do to stay on his feet as the gangly puppy crisscrossed this way and that having to correct nearly every step.

I’m like that puppy, yet the promise is that we can become so acquainted with God that to do His will we will only need to act on our impulses. That’s what Samuel told the new king, Saul. He said, “The Spirit of the Lord will come upon you in power and you will prophesy with [the prophets] and you will be changed into a different person. Once these signs are fulfilled, do whatever your hand finds to do for God is with you” (1 Samuel 10:6-7). (Saul’s later life showed that when we are no longer with God, then whatever our hand finds to do will likely be the wrong thing.)

Amazing, though, that God can be with us in a way that makes our hands do right! That’s what I want; not some promise of infallibility, but the assurance that everything I do will benefit God in some way.

But my impulses are not currently trustworthy. I hold them up to His character and they look worse than shabby. I used to think I would grow into His likeness, that somehow I could be educated into a righteous life. Now, I can’t really see that far. What I do believe is that anytime my heart is decidedly with His, immediately better impulses are provided.

Aha! That’s what I’m looking for, not some well-crafted, independent righteousness, but a moment-by-moment guidance that keeps me on the right path. I doubt it would even be good for me to take off my training wheels. They are the voice of God, and I don’t want to ride ahead of that. He promised “Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying, ‘This is the way; walk in it” (Isaiah 30:21). And that is already happening.

So here was my thought: I can trust the slightest impulse to do good. Too often I have felt that I should do something I knew to be good (e.g. “let this cookie be my last” or “give that guy a hand” or “go write out that thought”) and have found it too easy to ignore the urge claiming it’s not important or I can do it later. Now is late enough. So when God prompts me to be patient, I try to surrender what I was planning to do. When He tells me to make a better food choice, I try to surrender what I was planning to do. When He tells me to go write it out, I try to surrender what I was planning to do.

Notice a common theme? He may have a hundred things to ask of me, but I have really only one response; surrender what I was planning to do. That’s what John Lennon obliquely addressed when he said, “Life is what happens to you while you’re busy making other plans.” I had a moment like that on Sunday, October 14, and it began this change from writing for a weekly human audience (see “An Explanatory Note” below) to writing as I am led. I had a whole day of study planned and I wanted to get an early start. Instead, I surrendered that plan and spent six hours writing things He needed me to get onto paper. I wrote my third of the series on the Sanctuary, and for a full week after that, He brought me affirming excerpts from the devotional writings of Ellen White. I’m reading Harri Kuhalmpi’s dissertation, Holistic Spirituality in the Thinking of Ellen White, and the sections on her view of repentance and sanctification were riddled with thoughts similar to what I had just discovered in the Sanctuary. Later, his writing progressed to other areas of her thinking and the parallels were not so frequent. God had awakened me and focused me through the discipline of my own writing just in time to take advantage of a windfall.

And, of course, there’s always a punch line: after surrendering six hours that day, and multiple hours in following days, I still spent more hours on study than I had in the weeks prior. Perhaps He expects a tithe of our time and talent as well as a tithe of our treasure. Perhaps He only asks us to give what He already knows we can live without, and when we do, heaven provides for our legitimate needs.

An explanatory note: I awoke at 1:00 this Sabbath morning and laid awake for 37 minutes before finally smiling and arising to write. In June I had started this blog to give me a devotional writing outlet. I was used to finding a spiritual thought to share each Monday morning with my teachers and staff. I enjoyed that and regretted having to give it up during this year of sabbatical for study purposes. Hence, I thought that writing devotionally once a week would be a good practice.

I can be very programmatic, so a weekly routine helps. I also find social feedback to be motivating, so I invited a handful of friends to check in and give me feedback once a week. I think I outlasted them. They are busy and smart people and have their own demanding lives, so it’s not a problem for me. In fact, I think God has been opening my eyes to a need to change my modus operandi, somewhat. I tend to live by calendars, but I’m not sure God lives by mine. I tend to perform for a human audience, but He is the audience I most crave. It is time for me to write as the Spirit moves me.

I won’t turn my back on “The Walk” but I want to make it somewhat fancier… I want to dance for Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment