"When it all comes down, you know it all comes down to doin' the walk." Steven Curtis Chapman

Sunday, January 13, 2013

A Spa for the Soul


Living in a new home in a new housing development means that we have ongoing conversations with builders, the cabinet shop, neighbors, customer satisfaction reps, etc. We’re all settling in and bumping elbows a bit in the process. If we have reported a need, the people at the sales office are particularly likely to declare that they will “be available this Saturday.” I’m sure they mention Saturday the most, because it shows they are willing to accommodate the working person’s typical schedule. They’ve all been nice people.

I find myself saying to them and to others, “Sorry, I’ll be out of town this Saturday.” It’s true. Ginger and I leave Riverside to hop over into Loma Linda so that we can take Mom and Dad to church. Often we are not home until evening.

This morning, I am tempted to try this response: “Sorry. That won’t work for me. That’s my Sabbath. It’s a weekly appointment with God so that He can soften the crust that has started to cling to me over the week. He soaks it loose and rinses it away. It’s a day long process of exfoliating my soul. If I miss that appointment, you won’t want to see me on Monday.”

A bit dramatic? It’s also a bit true. Somehow I’d like to invite others into the blessing of having a spa for the soul. 

1 comment:

  1. I rather like that response. Maybe you SHOULD try it on them! :-)

    By the way, a spa for the soul that serves Penang food is about as perfect as it can get.

    ReplyDelete