"When it all comes down, you know it all comes down to doin' the walk." Steven Curtis Chapman

Sunday, October 20, 2013

God of the Selfless Heart

Satan loves to see smiles on the faces of people he is robbing of their later healthy and harmony. Satan also delights in the agonized, twisted, and shrieking faces of anyone that he’s tired of, or who has refused to glide into his ruinous forms of “happiness.”

God, on the other hand, doesn’t care what kind of face you bring—bitterness, joy, peaceful contemplation, extreme frustration; He doesn’t care; it’s all good as long as long as you’re allowing Him to give you the things that are needed for sustainable health and harmony. His own face twists in agony when ours does. His Spirit groans with our groaning.

Satan delights in our semi-conscious frivolity and in our suddenly-conscious despair. God doesn’t feed on our moods, He interprets our moments by where they are trending. Our face is free to reflect our perception of our current situation. His face reflects the joy or sorrow of where our current responses are leading us. He is about restoration despite the current cost.

This is because God is about us, and Satan is about himself. We have accepted a picture of God that makes Him seem as egocentric as Satan… “but in a good way.” However, viewing God as “all about Himself,” whether we see Him as generous or oppressive, is our first error. Satan is the one who is all about self, and his delight is when we adopt the same self-focus and even project that onto God. God is tied up in His people; Satan, in destroying them.

When I experience the thrill of schadenfreude I am tasting the sweet frosting on Satan’s sick cake. When I delight someone because I am angling for something I want, I am again sharing in the heart of Satan. When I please another in order to win their loyalty, I am again straying from the way God acts. The only time I share in the heart of Christ is when I desire to bless someone else, free of any payback—even paybacks as intangible as their gratitude or my desire to be seen as a good person. I believe it’s good to enjoy their gratitude, but if its absence causes hurt and resentment in me then I am acting from the wrong heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment