"When it all comes down, you know it all comes down to doin' the walk." Steven Curtis Chapman

Monday, June 18, 2012

Beginning of the Journey

Ginger and I are lounging on a bed in the Golden Tulip hotel in Amman, Jordan. I keep phasing out, then coming to and reading or writing a little. Saturday night I got all the last of our many papers off to Wendy who is lining up the mortgage on our new home in California. After that I packed for Israel, revised an article I have submitted for the Journal of Formal Axiology. It will be published this Fall, but the deadline was now. I also went to work the rest of the night at Rogers Adventist School, and just dashed home to pick up Ginger and the luggage and race to the airport. We’ve been traveling since then with the normal thrills and chills: Walla Walla, SeaTac, Newark, London, and Amman. So here it is Monday night and my last sleep in a bed was Friday night. (Yawn.)

It’s a different world here. Many women are in a variety of styles of burqas. Some have their faces showing, but some are totally covered from head to foot. I wonder if they know we can still see them. The writing is of the fluid Arabic style and the flags are all new to me. A number of men are wearing white robes and head-scarf-and-cord thingees called khaffiyehs. The folks are looking, well, rather Arab.
Great snacks in our room tonight as shown in the accompanying photo.

1 comment:

  1. So excited for you! The food looks really yummy too. Don't forget the loaves and fishes. You'll be needing them.

    Tonya

    ReplyDelete